Friday, September 24, 2021

1. My First Day At College : Essay

 

1.            My First Day At College

 

  • 1.      Introduction
  • 2.      Preparation for the new college
  • 3.      College life is full of pleasures
  • 4.      Welcome by Principal and college staff
  • 5.      College offers new exciting experiences
  • 6.      Fascinating building of new college
  • 7.      Being tricked by the seniors
  • 8.      Polite and courteous behavior of Professors
  • 9.       Fun packed day  
  • 10.  Conclusion

 

All to myself I think of you

Think of the things we used to do

Think of the things we used to say,

Think of each bygone day,

Sometimes I sigh, and sometimes I smile

But I keep each olden, golden while

All to myself

 

After I passed my school examination with good grades, I got into Govt College. I had heard a lot of stories about college life from my elder siblings and relatives. According to them, college is not as strict as a school. I was full of excitement, inner joy and high hopes for a promising future.

“Colleges are places where pebbles are polished and diamonds are dimmed.”

(Robert Green)

 I thought college life would be full of pleasures. After a bad experience of strict discipline at school, I wanted to have a sigh of relief among pleasures of college life. I had already come to know about the frank environment of college. The students play tricks and crack jokes with one another. The lectures had group discussions and research on a topic instead of preparing notes. Besides, there are greater opportunities for extra-curricular activities to search for talent. Briefly, it was the charming side of college that I imagined.

“Teachers open the door, but you must enter by yourself.”          (Chinese Proverb)

Thinking about this when I entered college, I came across a different world then I imagined. The worthy teachers and other staff members were welcoming the newcomers and guiding them to the assembly hall of the college. We were told that on the first day, there would not be any classes for the newcomers but the welcome address of the principal.

The hall was decorated with pictures of our historical persons, previous principals and some shining stars in the college. There were 1100 students seated. At 10 O’clock, the principal entered the hall. Then, the worthy professors also took their respective seats.

The principal started explaining the reality and the importance of college experience. His arguments were good and strong. With the help of data, the principal proved that a greater number of college students spoil their lives. He said, “Life is not a bed of roses. You are supposed to work hard”. He was very inspiring and motivating. The principal’s speech had come to an end but it had transformed my life as I transitioned from a school student to college students.

After this, we went to college in a group. However, we found a group of our seniors waiting for us at the main gate of the college. They received us with the slogan “First-year Fools, Zindabad”. I do not know what else they had planned to do with us when luckily, Vice Principal of the college appeared on the spot and the naughty group disappeared. We thanked our stars and came to the heart of the college. We talked and chatted with each other at Cafeteria.

Then we entered the corridor of the new college. The first period started at 8 O’clock. As we did not know where is our classroom. I asked a senior to help us. He took me to a room. When I entered the room, I was greeted with cheers. It was a dirty washroom. I rushed out of it with feelings of shame and insult.

At the moment, there flashed upon me the wisdom of committing a folly. I remembered the saying of an old philosopher, “He who lives without committing any folly is not so wise as he thinks.” This idea comforted me a bit.

We remained busy in the first three periods in our classes. It was for the first time we attended lectures. The college professors were very polite and courteous. Each one of the professors spoke on the importance of education and discipline in the college. They introduced to us the values of the subject they were going to teach. They talked to us in a friendly manner. They were quite different from the school teachers. We were greatly impressed by their sweet manners. They told us to work hard more in the college than our previous academic level because

“There is no substitute for hard work.”      

                                                                                (Thomas Edison)

In the end, it was the first day at college that changed my perspective of college life; I could have carried away easily with the charms of college life. At that time, I was transformed into a responsible man. I am indebted to the principal and all teachers for this revolution.

(770 words)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home